Delta 8 THC is a cannabinoid found organically in the hemp plant that has rapidly expanded in popularity nationwide with promising results in both the medical and recreational field. While Delta 8 THC might be familiar to the main chemical found in marijuana, Delta 9 THC, it has completely different effects along with generally less potency to its user.
But is Delta 8 THC legal in Iowa?
Related article: What is Delta 8 THC?
No, Delta 8 THC is not legal in Iowa
As of writing this 09/22/2021, Delta 8 THC is illegal under Iowa state law.
The following bills highlight why Delta 8 THC is illegal in Iowa
CHAPTER 96 - HEMP
1. The plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of that plant, including the seeds thereof, and all derivatives, extracts, cannabinoids, isomers, acids, salts, and salts of isomers, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis when tested using postdecarboxylation or other similarly reliable methods.
2. A plant of the genus Cannabis other than Cannabis sativa L., with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis when tested using postdecarboxylation or other similarly reliable methods, but only to the extent allowed by the department in accordance with applicable federal law, including the federal hemp law.
“THC” means total tetrahydrocannabinol as determined by an official laboratory test postdecarboxylation.
IOWA CODE 124 – CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES
20. “Marijuana” means all parts of the plants of the genus Cannabis, whether growing or not; the seeds thereof; the resin extracted from any part of the plant; and every compound, Thu Dec 05 12:35:22 2019 Iowa Code 2020, Chapter 124 (49, 4) §124.101, CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES 4 manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture or preparation of the plant, its seeds or resin, including tetrahydrocannabinols. It does not include the mature stalks of the plant, fiber produced from the stalks, oil or cake made from the seeds of the plant, any other compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the mature stalks (except the resin extracted therefrom), fiber, oil or cake or the sterilized seed of the plant which is incapable of germination.
4. Hallucinogenic substances. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation, which contains any quantity of the following hallucinogenic substances, or which contains any of its salts, isomers, and salts of isomers whenever the existence of such salts, isomers, and salts of isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation (for purposes of this paragraph only, the term “isomer” includes the optical, position and geometric isomers):
u. Tetrahydrocannabinols, except as otherwise provided by rules of the board for medicinal purposes, meaning tetrahydrocannabinols naturally contained in a plant of the genus Cannabis (Cannabis plant) as well as synthetic equivalents of the substances contained in the Cannabis plant, or in the resinous extractives of such plant, and synthetic substances, derivatives, and their isomers with similar chemical structure and pharmacological activity to those substances contained in the plant, such as the following:
(1) 1 cis or trans tetrahydrocannabinol, and their optical isomers.
(2) 6 cis or trans tetrahydrocannabinol, and their optical isomers.
(3) 3,4 cis or trans tetrahydrocannabinol, and their optical isomers. (Since nomenclature of these substances is not internationally standardized, compounds of these structures, regardless of numerical designation of atomic positions covered.)
Cannabis and Its Future in Iowa
If you want to see a change in these laws, we recommend you voice your opinions to your local and state lawmakers. The only way that cannabis laws can change in your state is if you make your voice heard! If you would like to see Delta 8 THC and CBD products available for purchase, let your representatives know!